Coffee is getting expensive!
In case it's too obscure, I'm whining about the rising price of green coffee. Well... coffee and just about everything else a person needs to survive!
When I started roasting coffee in December 2003 a pound of green coffee in small lots was about $3 - $8 per pound depending on how 'special' (or not!) it was. Years later in I think 2022 I tried a 50# bag of green coffee from a merchant in Mississippi (still a customer) which was less than $5.66/lb in 50# lots. Prices have crept up over the 3 intervening years and now that variety was $9.02/lb in 50# lots when I last purchased it in Mar 2025. That's close to double for the really nice green coffee I buy from Chiapas, Mexico via the Coffee Bean Corral's Rancher discount program.
Now we can look forward to even larger price increases for coffee as goods from our trade partners increase as a result of tariffs added to the cost of what they supply. Import duties are supposed to cause us to 'buy American'. But (in case you're unaware) the US doesn't grow coffee except for a few small areas on the big island of Hawai'i. I'm not looking forward to what green coffee is going to cost when this all goes into effect.
As my sainted father might have said- 'sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face'. A little late-1920s philosophy, which I'm sure was adapted from earlier times.

Comments
Post a Comment