Yeah, the bloody air conditioner...

Be forewarned: lots of whining being served up today.

One AC in the trailer, built by Dometic, has died and been replaced. Cha-ching: "Check for $2,600 please". 

Immediately after that unit failed the mini-split heat pump (cooling or heating from one device) in the casita packed it in and had to be replaced today. Josh from Alpha Home Services did the work for us. Cha-ching. "Check for $5,300 please."

Steve from Alpha Home Services found a refrigerant leak. Bummer!

And before I forget, the on-demand water heater in the casita froze (literally). The freezing water expanded causing the boiler to crack. It happened because I had unplugged it- that meant the built-in heating element for preventing a freeze (which had worked fine for 10 years) was disabled. So that otherwise-reliable appliance led the parade of disenchantment. Cha-ching. "Check for $4,300 please."

There's one more AC that hasn't packed it in yet and that's the unit in our bedroom. I'm starting to wonder if we ought to just have it replaced before it rolls over and dies!

Which reminds me that the fridge in the casita has been making weird noises. That apparently came about because it had been jammed against the wall to its rear (probably my doing but... ???). That blocked the compressor cooling fan which was making complaining noises. I guess fans are like that. Luckily I got that sorted before it packed it in... moved it away from the wall a few inches where it was supposed to be. I hope we have dodged a bullet on that one!

An aside: that 'cha-ching' phonetic was around 100 years ago. That particular phonetic is close to the sound a mechanical cash register makes when the total is entered and the change drawer pops open. But those old cash registers disappeared from stores decades ago. And yes I was around when they were still in service. I'm really getting old... ugh!!

Which reminds me of another little 'gee whiz' tidbit. Ever think about what IBM stands for? Easy answer: International Business Machines. Guess what IBM made back in the day. If you said 'cash registers' you get the free donut!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uh-oh... the 'season' has started!

'Tis the season...

Monsoons? What monsoons?!