What's cookin'?

When we don't eat at home we have a select few favorites for a meal out. The Admiral can probably find something to eat at pretty much any restaurant but the Captain is a picky old toot who eats a vegan diet 90% of the time. The exceptions are salmon or some other cold water fish and some butter & certain cheese once in awhile.

Fortunately the owner/cook at the local Mi Casa Restaurant (Santa cooks Baja-style Mexican food- not TexMex style; not New Mexico style) is willing to fix things which I can eat that are not on their menu: a vegetarian meal with the occasional portion of salmon or mahi-mahi. Not bad at all. She decides what she's going to fix for me- I don't get a choice: "I'll have whatever Santa says I'm having!"

Mi Casa Restaurant. G-Maps says it's at 723 4th St in Benson, AZ but it's actually very near heaven!

   
Santa at her grill- she's a magician!

Carrot cake to die for.
 
The Admiral's favorite- PiƱata Salad
 
Andy & Santa- owners/operators of Mi Casa Restaurant in Benson, AZ

She even experiments with various fake-meat products to see what I think of them. So Mi Casa ranks at the top of my favorites list (thank you Andy & Santa!).

There's a chain of Mexican restaurants in the US called Chipotle Mexican Grill. Their menu includes a couple vegetarian options. Fortunately for me I really enjoy their version of rice & beans with guacamole, grilled peppers & onions and mild salsa. It's called a Veggie Bowl. And in the process of writing this piece I learned their sofritas contain grilled soy- so now I have an additional option to try. On the down side we have to drive at least 40 miles to find the nearest Chipotle- Benson is not exactly where you find franchised restaurants other than Burger King or Wendy's. But the food at Chipotle is so good it's worth the drive to nearby Sierra Vista, Arizona.

My half-eaten veggie bowl- beans, rice, grilled onions & peppers, guacamole, salsa & some greens.

Tucson, of course, has several choices for vegetarian fair. But we have to be a little picky- some of the Tucson restaurants are a little too generous with the chili. I've been derailed by that surprise more than once. Oops!

For many years we were fans of The Horseshoe Cafe here in Benson. I especially liked the biscuits & sausage gravy (yeah, I fall off the veggie-wagon once in awhile!). The day we sat forgotten in the dining room waiting for food that wasn't coming was the last time we tried to eat there (never did understand what that was about!). Then COVID arrived, the owners first reduced hours then they retired. The restaurant re-opened Oct 2023 with new owners and appears to be busier than ever. We'll see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uh-oh... the 'season' has started!

'Tis the season...

Monsoons? What monsoons?!