"The Queen is dead. Long live the King!"
That bit of trivia from some movie or other that probably got the announcement muddled. The gist of the announcement was to reassure the masses of continuity in the reign.
I like the photo cuz it fits how I choose to remember her- big smile which betrays a good sense of humor and (importantly) a dog lover. According to Helen Mirren's 2006 portrayal of Elizabeth, when she took the pack for a walk she would announce "Walkies!" and off they all marched. My kind of pack leader.
So things move on. Prince Charles is now King Charles III (or maybe he has to be coronated first). The corgi above is long gone and no one bothered to mention his name (disappointing but that's history for yuh!).
I don't have first hand knowledge but I strongly suspect that I would have had an issue with QE-2 - she was very probably a tea drinker. I'll forgive her that indulgence, but how does anyone live to 96 without coffee?!

Comments
Post a Comment