We're getting there...
... sort of!
Last time I said our Vegas is getting closer to 'ready' and I had a long list of things that we had finished. Well, ok- it was a short list, but those items are done. Off the list. Fini.
The biggy this time was supposed to be getting the Vegas over to Shannon's on 7 July to have the cab AC refrigerant topped up. That didn't happen. Well, it did happen but it was not a magic cure. Thanks to info from Dana at Lightning Fast RV Repair (apparently a very good mechanic!), I'm fairly sure the low pressure safety switch has been tripped (several times!). And I also suspect that switch also set a latching relay on the fuse/relay board in the engine compartment so that if you turn power off and back on the safety switch is still tripped. That switch (+ latching relay) apparently keeps the compressor clutch from engaging so the compressor doesn't run when the system is low on refrigerant. It could be that the switch is defective but I've convinced myself the switch is just doing its job and that there are leaks in hoses or components of the cab AC system.
So that leaves us with a couple options-
- find a shop in Tucson to fix the problem then get out of Benson and go north & up to higher elevation. Or...
- get out of Benson and go north & up to higher elevation and deal with it when we get back. We can run the generator so that we have coach AC while driving
So I *think* we are going to opt for the second choice. I found at least 3 shops in Tucson that claim on their web sites they will work on it but I have a hunch they really mean they will work on the coach AC, not the cab AC. If they do work on the cab AC, they'll need a pit to access the Vegas from underneath as that's apparently where the compressor is attached.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
The Admiral ordered some replacement drawer latches she heard about on the Facebook Axis/Vegas Owners Group. We had learned from the new folks at Lightning Fast RV Repair, Jeff and his son Dana, that the old latch for the 'big drawer' located under the bed was kaput. I installed the replacement which required stacking magazines to support the drawer at just the right height, carefully lining up the drawer slides to re-engage them, then (like the second rate magician whipping the table cloth from under the dinner plates) slide out the magazines till the drawer weight was on the slides. All of this involved geriatric gymnastics and a fair amount of swearing but I got it done (it's hell getting old!).
![]() |
| Here's what the latch looks like when it's open and ready to close the drawer (I just noticed this one in the galley has a cracked base!). |
![]() |
| Safety strap in place after having installed a new latch to the bottom of the drawer |
The replacement latch works just as it should. The Admiral, however, wisely says she wants a back-up plan to keep the drawer from destroying everything in its path should the latch fail when I slam on the brakes. I located some strap pad-eyes (the kind used on a boat to anchor a Bimini top) which I'd bought for the dog house insulation adventure. I installed 4 of them (2 on each side) then added some black Velcro as straps to keep the drawer from moving. Seems to be at least 'ok' but only a little road testing will tell the tale. The Admiral says she'd prefer light color (vs. black) since it's very dark where the Velcro must be attached and it will be a challenge getting it on correctly. I have to agree.
While I was on a roll I looked at the latches for the galley drawers that seems to not work. The Admiral had done some research on YouTube and it turns out the little spring loaded lever that holds the drawer closed can be tripped and I would need to force that latch to the open position. This video, again mentioned on the Facebook Axis/Vegas Owners Group (that group is a gem!!), shows exactly how to fix the problem. That was the issue. A small wrestling match with a screw driver and it popped out to the open position. Ta-dah! Works now. That said I have a hunch this little circus will repeat itself a few times as the latch is not properly aligned with the drawer and is doomed to trip closed again.
Things were going so well we decided to try the fridge in AC mode (shore power, not propane).
![]() |
| Freezer's working... |
![]() |
| ... and so is the fridge. |
Not mentioned earlier I had installed a couple pairs of fans last year. They are in the outside compartment where the rear of the fridge is located (btw, the fridge is a Norcold). These fans are intended to move air up past the fridge components to improve the cooling efficiency of the fridge during really hot weather. These fans have controllers which need to be turned on and that got things going. The fridge is cooling now but I still need to try the propane mode.
| Lower cooling fans and controllers (in the shadows of the fridge compartment) |
And this reminds me...
Last fall we had a call from Lightning Fast RV Repair when Tim and his brother Shannon were still doing the work. There seemed to be a propane leak from our RV which was parked out in the storage yard at the time. Our neighbor in the storage yard thought the leak was on his travel trailer and had called Lightning Fast. It turned out to be coming from our Vegas. Tim (no longer working for Lightning Fast) confirmed it and poked around a bit. He found the vent valve wasn't closed tightly and that seemed to stop the smell of propane. But by then the tank was empty and he couldn't check further. So now I don't know if the leak stopped because the tank is empty or if it stopped cuz the vent is now closed. I'm afraid it suggests we have a leak somewhere but I don't really know. So we still have that to deal with. Tim couldn't check further for leaks with the propane tank empty. I have since refilled it but the shut-off valve is still closed.
So time marches on and so too do the repairs. It's slow going cuz I am slow going. More when we hear back from the shops in Tucson which I expect will say 'love to help you but we're booked for the rest of the summer'.
I should mention that cruising-turned-RV'ing friend Michael (The Golden Van) has gifted to me 2 cameras. He has moved on to 2 newer models and he didn't want the old ones (still workimng) to crumble into dust so he asked if I wanted them. I said yes and it's one of these cameras (a Panasonic LUMIX DM-LX100 Mk II) that I used to get the images above. The other camera (he called it his 'big camera') is a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ1000 which was replaced in the Panasonic line-up by the newer Mk II. Both cameras appear to be superb designs. The LX100 has a switch problem with Wide <--> Telephoto- but there is a work around on the lens. The FZ1000 apparently has some dust on the sensor. I can't fix either problem so they will have to go back to Panasonic (or ?) for repair if it seems to get in the way of imaging. Thank you Michael!!
Btw, we both suspect the problem is that the cameras take one hell of a beating during travel. Part of 'the cost of doing business' as a traveler I'm afraid.




Comments
Post a Comment