"Not bad...
... but no cigar!"
We have used the Skyroam Solis Lite 3-network router here at our RV park for a couple weeks now and the results have been less than stellar. The first few nights it worked with no issue, but then it seemed to not find any suitable network. I rebooted the router over and over in hopes of getting it to a working connection but no joy. We finished the evening using the park's WiFi (yeah, that was embarrassing). My plan was to call Millenicom the next day (no techies around at that late hour) and see what was the issue.
And I forgot! As the appointed hour for viewing approached I did an 'oh crap!' head slap and took a quick look at the router. Odd... it seemed to not be dead as I expected and had 'normal' indicator lights. I had left it Off (powered off but plugged into a charger).
I went to my laptop and did a speed test which looked something like this app from HonorLock:
If you're familiar with this sort of internet connection (often called a MiFi- Mobile wiFi) you know that this isn't outstanding speed by any means but it is sufficient to watch a movie if no one else is trying to use any of the bandwidth for any other purpose. The test I did above is about what I saw that evening and a clear indicator there was no issue. At this speed we can stream HD videos without issue. No clue what the specific trouble was the previous nite but the router was just not connecting to anything usable.
Performance since then has been spotty- sometimes adequate, other times not so much. We seem to be able to start a movie/program but about 2/3 of the way thru things turns to crap and we get the spinning-wheel-of-death which means 'buffering'.
So I'm left speculating whether it was a transient issue with the router the first nite, an ongoing issue with the cell tower, a reception issue caused by interference (seems unlikely), or some connection issue beyond my pay grade to understand (which doesn't take much!!). The jury is still out. But for $100/mo for 100 GB of data I expect to be able to get in 2 or 3 hours of streaming without having to make excuses or pause the programming to let the video buffer.
End of whine. As Rod Serling would have said, "your screen will now return to regular programming". (Twilight Zone ending in case you forgot. Or lack the requisite years to have enjoyed that bit of SciFi.)
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment