What's going on??

Life has been a little off balance for this scribe. Rehab continues to demand the focus of most of my activity by either demanding I get ready to go to the clinic or return and try to remember what I was supposed to be doing or do the exercises I'm required to do daily. On top of that we changed 'laundry day' back in August from Thursday to Tuesday cuz we had run out of clothes when we returned from our brief trip to New Mexico and that discombobulated everything that requires repetition. Take your pick for a cause- it requires very little for a person who needs daily repetition to maintain a habit to keep it from falling to the wayside. 

And the exercise from rehab must absolutely not be tossed aside. According to the Admiral my posture is actually improving a little and I'm walking further. When I started rehab in early Dec I was able to walk about 1/4 mile max. Michael-the-rehab-tech told me to start increasing that distance so I gave it a try on Friday morning (16 Dec). But how far is a quarter or half a mile in the small area I walk? The golf cart doesn't have an odometer, so... ?? Well there's an app for that (well of course there is! And the Admiral already had it installed). 

Pacer to the rescue. Pacer uses the GPS in your phone (and supplies enough advertising to assure the rich get richer from the ads!) to track how far I walk. My old pedometer only tracked steps but my stride is too variable to be used for estimating distance. The GPS+Pacer combo takes care of that. Conveniently it requires actual steps so Pacer doesn't get confused by me riding in the golf cart to get to the never-completed development in front of the park. Of course I have to be careful touching buttons as I could easily be sucked into some on-line store (does anyone ever intentionally follow any of these ad links?!).

I managed to roughly double the distance from what I think was 1/4 mile to what appears to be 1/2 mile. Appears cuz yesterday it was 0.5 mi walk but today the same distance was 0.43 mi. Or maybe I just don't remember correctly where I reversed direction the first day. What can I say? I'm old and I blame all my faults on my advanced years!

If 99-year old Capt Tom Moore of the UK can do it, so can I! (Tom is the guy that raised $16,000,000 in donations by walking. He died at 100 years old; RIP.)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uh-oh... the 'season' has started!

'Tis the season...

Monsoons? What monsoons?!