Dedicated to poor souls like myself who can't get by without a really good cup of coffee... from beans they roast themselves!
Well this is pretty slick...
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
I just roasted a bunch of coffee. To try to keep the roasts consistent using what RT3 (the roasting software) refers to as Recipes. Recipes are a set of button pushing commands to the roaster that can be based upon Time (the default) or Temperature AND Time (that's the logical AND meaning both). They provide consistency that seems to be lacking when I just follow the button pushes of an earlier roast. Easy-peasey. But the results have been inconsistent and I end up with roasts that have a graph that varies a lot. And I mean a lot.
Thru some odd accumulation of good fortune I did a roast that seemed to have all the right shapes to the curves that are recorded during the roast. At the same time I needed to answer a few questions from the software developer about how the Recipe feature works in RT3. So...
I decided to create a new version of the Recipe using the roast that had come out *looking* like I wanted. But instead of using the in-built roast-to-recipe conversion which is mechanized in RT3 using Time, I instead used the temperature values from the IR sensor (part of what the mfr calls the IBTS) that occurred near each power, fan and drum speed control setting I had used. There's nothing earth-shaking here: users have been doing this to one extent or another from the git-go. I just hadn't tried it myself. Well that whole approach has definitely opened my eyes!
Here's a list of the steps that's a Copy/Paste of what RT3 saved as a Recipe. The Time values are pretty much meaningless- they just have to be =/> 5 seconds.
We (mmm... I! ) drifted thru the whole summer and didn't give much thought to it ending. Hard to realize summer is officially over in about 10 days when we are still hitting temps in the 100s! But there it is. Cruising-friends-turned-RVers who publish conchscooter.blogspot.com are in the Southern hemisphere dealing with van renovations. That's about as close as we get to being on the road. Well- not counting driving to appointments in Tucson. Appointments in Benson don't count as the engine hardly gets warmed up before we arrive! ----------------------- And today, as I type this post, is the 25th anniversary of 9-11 . The Admiral and I were in the Herrington Harbor Marina in Maryland on that infamous day. We were prepping Goosebumps so we could leave for points South. We needed haircuts and made our way across the street to the shop where we went mid-week. We stepped inside and were greeted by some very somber faces. The staff had the TV on and we stepped in abo...
... to sweat ! And complain. A lot. It turned hot. Then this week it eased a bit. But it's coming back very soon! Hard to remember to check on sunrises and sunsets but here are what I managed to put together... Sunrise off to the Southeast... ... and a sunset off to the West (where else?!) The craziness in Washington DC has caused annual visitors to disappear from the park early as fuel prices climb to all-time highs. If you have a big 40'+ motor home or you're pulling a heavy 38'+ 5th wheel, either of which sucks up the diesel fuel, you need to take precautions to minimize fuel expense! Diesel was priced at $4.99/gal this week.
Every year I go through this anxious anticipation. "When are they ever going to start?!" Then that is followed by something like "when will this ever end?!" It's kinda' like how they joked about it in circa 1950s USMC: "there are only 2 good duty stations: the last one and the next one!" In the mean time life plods on and grocery prices rise faster than Social Security checks. A few years ago the Admiral was paying something like $100 - $175 for the week's food & necessities from Safeway. Now she's paying about $400 for the week. Yikes! And no, we aren't eating a different mix of food: we've been on a (sort of) vegetarian regimen since October 2013- it's called a pescatarian diet: veggies plus cold water fish (like salmon) once or twice per week. Update: The Admiral shopped at Safeway today (23 Jul 2026). Sockeye salmon was $27/lb. They don't even carry king salmon. King salmon is caught of the coast of California and ...
Comments
Post a Comment