We're Escapees...

 ... cuz we just escaped from Arizona!

We got away about 1330 on Tuesday (24 Aug), fussed around at the gas station for another 30 minutes, stopped and had lunch at the TA station in Willcox, and made it to Lordsburgh KOA after 1700. It didn't take 4.5 hours to drive the 117 miles... we lost an hour crossing the state line into New Mexico cuz of Daylight Savings Time (AZ is on standard time).

The KOA was... a KOA. Old, everything working order, and a little worn looking. And overpriced. There were all of 8 campers for a park with 56 sites, and we spent a (sorta') quiet nite where we slept with the vents open for the first time in years. It was a celebration of being on the road for the first time in 5 years (!) and a welcome relief.

Truck noise from I-10 wasn't too bad though the noise from the trains was a little louder. I'm not sure how much I actually slept but I was up at 0700 and frankly not willing to put together our usual vegetarian smoothie. 

So we had cereal (Trader Joe's finest) and a nice cup of dark roasted Mexico organic Chiapas that I'd done back in July. And it was pretty darn good!

Our recent addition- Clever Coffee Drippers

A little after 1100 we managed to get ourselves moving toward Silver City, NM where we had reserved a site for 1 week, maybe 2. We made it to Rose Valley RV Ranch before 1230... all of about 53 miles. Well... 53 miles not counting the detour which sent us onto I-10 East for 3 miles then back 2 miles West so we could get on US-70 and eventually NM-90 to Silver City. 

It was a pleasant drive with very little traffic which took us thru level green landscape that morphed into rolling green hills and eventually low green mountains. Yeah... lots of green! And we are officially in the Eastern US since we crossed the Continental Divide at all of 5,991 feet elevation!

What a great transition from getting ready for 2 months plus weeks of hounding Lazydays for the MVD registration for the Vegas. Other than a horrendous bump on I-10 while driving to Lordsburgh which actually stopped the Onan generator (?!), everything went fine. If I could have found a route from Benson to Lordsburgh that skipped the Interstate it would have been ideal... the Interstates are in crap shape!

Rose Valley RV Ranch gave us a great site (#32). And the weather is very nice and is headed into the low 80s. Yay!! Even managed to use our folding camp chairs this morning for the first time in years.

Looking around from our site, #32...

Looking Northwest from the front of our site- nearly a straight shot to back in

Off to the Northeast

Looking Southwest from the rear of our site

Looking a little South of East
 
“The Barn” about 100 ft South of our site

  

From The Barn, looking North... we're to the left of center with the slide extending to the rear

Also looking North. The restrooms and laundry are just to the left of that white car

Home sweet home

The park has 10 psi water pressure at the site. First time we've seen that. I was convinced it was an 'us' problem and not a 'them' problem, but wrong again. They want visitors to be self contained and to manage their water use. 

Annoying but I get it. A lot has changed since we were last on the road in 2016. Plus we're paying $30/nite here vs. $50/nite at the Lordsburgh KOA. Even at 10psi, the flow rate when filling the water tank is good so we can live with it.

Btw, it is indeed Willcox, not Wilcox.

The title? We're lifetime members of Escapees RV Club. Seemed clever at the time, but pretty weak!

Comments

  1. Enjoyed reading about our trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have stayed at the Lordsburg KOA several times. Barebones but convenient on I-10
    and long pull-throughs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so few rigs... it was always full on previous visits. But school is starting so it must be having an impact.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uh-oh... the 'season' has started!

'Tis the season...

Monsoons? What monsoons?!