Reality check for the fan replacement project...

What should have been a minimal task to replace the exhaust fan motor turned into a medusa that left me frozen no matter which way I turned. And the issue wasn't really the fan motor, it was the firmware. I think. Mmmm... I suspect. Or not.

The fan arrived on a Friday sans mounting screws so I lost another week waiting for the missing parts. Replacing the motor eventually took less than 5 minutes (no exaggeration) and the roaster started up without issue. Well... except I had updated the firmware (the machine level instructions that make the roaster operate properly; I abbreviate it as f/w). Basically I was frustrated by waiting for parts and realized I had been ignoring an update for a few weeks. So I ran the RoasTime software which contains the f/w update routine.

Other Bullet owners have had an issue updating the f/w but my early copy of RT3 (3.1.8.0) apparently has a fix for that so I buzzed thru it without issue. I had thought what I d/l'ed was f/w venison 572. When the fan looked like it was working with the new motor I did the required fan speed calibration and learned there are 2 settings for using the newly calibrated fan: bL-16 for the version 1 motor and bL-26 for the version 2 motor. And the motors are significantly different internally. The V2 motor has significantly more poles in the DC motor design than the earlier 4-pole V1 DC motor. And that figures in what followed.

The instructions said to run the calibration from a certain place in step 6 of f/w setup. I did that but the time required was about half the predicted 5 minutes. And the results were less than spectacular. The first roast appeared to not respond to controls as expected and the second roast had an A-01 error: fan not working. I floundered around variously re-running calibration, downgrading the f/w back to the "stable release" (going back to f/w 562 isn't permitted), running more calibrations, re-reading the instructions, finally upgrading the f/w again to version 579. Hey, wait a minute... didn't that say 572 before? Well the truth is I dunno. I asked tech support but didn't get an answer (the unspoken response may have been "how would I know? that all happens in Thailand and they don't tell us in Taiwan squat!").

F/w installation buzzed thru without issue again. I ran calibrations again. And then repeated the calibrations over and over with no apparent change except now the calibration routine was taking about 5 minutes. Yeah- just like it's supposed to!

Encouraged I ran a couple roasts and they went fine. And no A-01 error. So I did a couple more roasts and they went fine too. The roaster was operating like it used to except the exhaust fan sounds a little different (probably the motor vibrations are different because of the different design).

Then I started thinking (always a dangerous pursuit!). "What if I didn't have the f/w setting in step 6 set properly? Like maybe I set bL-26 for the new motor except I still had the old V1 motor? Oh crap. Maybe I didn't need to change the motor in the first place!" And on and on. Of course that kind of thinking leads no where productive. 

I have to deal with a roaster that has been upgraded to a V2 exhaust fan motor and do a few changes to Recipes because the airflow for a given fan setting may be different now that the fan is working well. Time to move on and deal with hurricane force winds from the new fan motor...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uh-oh... the 'season' has started!

'Tis the season...

Monsoons? What monsoons?!