Interesting...
I've posted that my sure-fire pick of organic Oaxaca was a definite miss. Just didn't taste very good.
Then a couple months went by and I replaced the exhaust fan motor. Rather than use our favorite Chiapas beans to see if the motor replacement helped anything I used the Oaxaca beans. But I wasn't bothering to taste them... they just piled up in the fridge.
We ran out of roasted Chiapas when nearby neighbor, Larry Ayers - he and his family own Ohori Coffee in Santa Fe, NM - dropped off a bag of their Santa Fe Blend from his Santa Fe roastery as a thank you for a pound of coffee I'd given him last year. That was a wonderful sample of very dark roasted coffee and we enjoyed every drop! (Thank you Larry!!)
As the rules of supply & demand dictate, we ran out of coffee and I thought 'what the hell- might as well try some of the Oaxaca'. I had some on the counter from months ago and I brewed a pot with that. And it wasn't too bad. So it appears it definitely needs more aging than the 7 days needed by the Chiapas beans.
The next day I tried some from a batch I'd recently roasted (2 May) and discovered it was pretty good. More acidic than I like, but good. The Admiral happens to like that "bright" taste and she raved about it. The next morning was more of the same.
So surprise, surprise! That Organic Oaxaca coffee from Coffee Bean Corral that I disparaged turns out to be pretty good. There's a good chance the reason I didn't like my first effort is related to the then-failing exhaust fan motor.

Comments
Post a Comment