Hey! I've been shot!
In the end it was our friend Linda that made it happen. She hounded the Admiral mercilessly till C called Benson Hospital and inquired about the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Yes, they were giving vaccinations.
- Yes, we can schedule you. But first you have to get on a waiting list.
- 3 days later they called and told us we could be scheduled to be vaccinated at 1100 & 1115 on 22 Jan.
- The Admiral signed us up without hesitation.
Even with the appointment I stewed about it for the entire week. I was concerned that this would give us the first dose but that there might not be sufficient vaccine to schedule the 2nd dose.
We arrived at the hospital 1/2 hr early on the 22nd thinking it would take awhile to get checked in.
Our cloth masks had to be removed and a proper hospital-supplied N95 paper mask put on (that meant ear loops which tangle with my hearing aids). A few minutes later we were at the receptionist's desk and blew thru registration with time to kill before the first scheduled appointment.
Instead of waiting in the lobby we were escorted down the hallway to the inner sanctum of Benson Regional Hospital where we sat down in a hallway to wait for the 107 year old nurse to get to us. Well, ok... she wasn't 107 but she was older than the barely-drinking-age receptionist that led us down the hallway.
The nurses name was Terri and she is a fireball of energy who informed everyone clearly what would happen once we filled out yet more paperwork. She got me chuckling and once she saw she had an appreciative audience it was straight stand-up comedy till we were out of there exactly 15 minutes after the shot was administered (the recommended waiting period to allow anaphylaxis to set in if it's going to).
Terri told me to relax the muscle in my arm so the shot wouldn't hurt. I told her "you can't fool me... it's going to hurt anyway". She said "yes, but don't tell the others!" I told her "well good luck finding the muscle. I used to have one on my shoulder but it went into hiding 2 years ago." "Don't worry I'll find something to shoot."
And she did. She warned us all the arm would be sore the next day but she lied: mine was sore immediately.
The next day the soreness in my arm was gone but I was feeling kinda feverish. I checked with the IR thermometer and my temp was 98.1°F instead of the usual 97.x°F. Not much to write home about but I took some Advil (ibuprofen) anyway and have felt fine all day.
So now I have the first COVID-19 vaccination and was all set to worry about not getting the 2nd dose. To my immense relief the arrangement is for both doses of the vaccine. I have an appointment on 19 Feb for the 2nd dose of the Moderna vaccine- that's the one that requires 0°F storage instead of -37.6°F. And I have a card that will get an additional entry next time for the 2nd dose.
Interestingly we will have to carry this with us for travel. Terri advised it might be a good idea to have it laminated.
Thank you Terri!
![]() |
| Me getting vaccinated |

Linda says "good girl and good boy". I hope Terri gave you a red sucker because you didn't cry.
ReplyDeleteBut I did cry... no sucker!!
ReplyDeleteAnd I got hell from The Admiral for saying Terri was 107 (which she isn't) but I like to exaggerate cuz I'm *old*! :)