Where's my second cup?!
The trouble with having my single cup of regular coffee is that I can't (in good faith) have a second. I brew enough for a single 12-oz cup for myself and about 13-14 oz for The Admiral. A second cup for either of us is kinda iffy- The Admiral gets wired and I have trouble falling asleep at bedtime.
I've roasted a few decaf coffees (that's what I drank exclusively for a long, long while) and they were 'ok'. Not enough for me to look forward to a second cup but if the Admiral was in the mood I'd have a cup too.
With the success with roasting greens from Chiapas, Mexico I decided to give it a try getting beans that kinda sound like what I buy for the morning cup. So I explored Coffee Bean Corral and found a couple to experiment with: they had some vague reference to 'chocolaty' taste. We'll see.
The first one I found was la Magnolia decaf from the Tres Rios region in Cartago Province in Costa Rica:
This roast was a little difficult and the chart ended up looking a little odd. La Magnolia is decaffeinated using the Swiss Water Process (c) which leaves the roasted beans looking very dark and a little flat (dull). Plus I didn't manage the roast very well and it was stalled at the end.
It's still worth a try and that will be on the mid-day menu tomorrow!
I'll cover the other sample (from Brazil) in another post.

Comments
Post a Comment