Back to work...

Matt-the-Code-Warrior released a newer version of RT3 software and I installed it right away. Not a lot of changes but it's supposed to address a few things related to Recipes like copying them from the old RT2 into the RT3 local library of Recipes.


That seemed to have been done alright so I got in a 1# roast yesterday (2 Oct) then 3# more today. Yesterday I roasted a Brazilian bean called Brazil- Dry Processed Pedra Branca Lot 2 from Sweet Maria's (map above). I've been roasting this off and on for almost a year but so far I haven't gotten it quite right. The Sweet Maria's Cupping Notes claim there's a "chocolate bomb" waiting at the end of the rainbow but so far no joy.

Today's effort was Mexico Organic Chiapas FTO from Coffee Bean Corral outside Jackson, MS. It was part of a 10# sample I bought but unfortunately I haven't a clue what I thought of it cuz I never keep notes about taste (Oops!). I'll pay attention this time as I plan to buy a 25# bag if it's as good as the Chiapas I bought from Home Roast Coffee.


 I also did 1# of Sweet Maria's Liquid Amber Espresso Blend for my neighbor Will. He buys the greens and I roast for him. Hopefully this turns out as well as previous batches.

Interesting thing seems to be appearing in these beans from Mexico: they want to rest on the order of 2 weeks before the best flavor starts to appear. That taste change seems to coincide with oil appearing on the surface of the bean while it waits on the counter.

Btw, FTO = Fair Trade Organic which, besides indicating the beans are organic, has to do with farmers meeting standards regarding community and workers. Coffee Bean Corral explains it here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uh-oh... the 'season' has started!

'Tis the season...

Monsoons? What monsoons?!