While I'm waiting on the next version...
No update yet from the Code Warrior. He had said either Friday or Saturday for the next version so it's looking like Saturday. And that's fine. The more bugs he kills before we see it the better the testers will like it.
In the meantime, the Admiral and I are enjoying more of the Costa Rica don Oscar Limones. It's a batch I roasted on 29 Aug. The delay in trying it was as much intentional as happenstance. Last time out this coffee took a week or more for the really nice flavors to appear. That seems to be the case with this batch as well- 2 weeks later and we're really enjoying it.
As part of the software testing I was doing I roasted some coffee from Mexico from the Chiapas region. That's sitting in the fridge waiting for its place on the countertop. It's from a new supplier (Home Roast Coffee in Wisconsin) that will probably not see another order from me. Their largest offering is 5# bags and at that quantity the price was about $13 per kg or about $5.86 per lb. Pricing from Coffee Bean Corral in 25 lb Grain-pro bags is about $4.50 per lb.
This sudden concern about coffee prices stems from an exchange with coffee roasting acquaintance Stuart in Dallas who buys 65# boxes so he can get good beans for $3.50-$4.00 per lb. I can't move a 65# box anymore but I'm sure tempted!
Anyway, the roast went pretty well using the not-quite-ready-for-prime-time software. And more importantly I was able to manage the post-first crack temperature drop fairly well by slowing the drum speed. Works a treat!
Interesting that, like the Finca la Laja from Veracruz, the moisture content seemed very high. Both hit about 18% weight loss (vs. the usual 15%). I hope I'm not buying expensive water packaged in green coffee beans!
And I too remember what day this is. So I'll take a few words to recall...
I remember exactly what we were doing the morning of 11 Sep 2001. The Admiral and I were in Herrington Harbor (just south of Annapolis, MD & Washington DC) getting ready to leave in a few weeks for the ICW and points south. We went across the street from the marina to get haircuts. They had the TV on a news channel and we were greeted by the sight of one of the Trade Towers on fire. A few minutes later the 2nd tower was hit.
The lady cutting our hair was having a huge problem because her husband, a truck driver, was making a delivery to DC that day and the Pentagon had just been hit.
A lot of first-responders died that day and more died as the months went on and the seriousness of their exposure became evident with cancer and lung disease. And here we are, 19 years later, and first responders and care givers are again in danger- this time thanks to COVID-19.
So yes I do recall what day this is and I offer my thanks to the many heroes who showed up to help everyone that day.

Comments
Post a Comment