Something really good from Chiapas, Mexico...
Over a week ago I roasted some Organic beans from Mexico's most southern state, Chiapas. Chiapas is nestled against Guatemala which sources some of the best coffee I've had in the recent past. So Chiapas is located in enviable territory to grow some really nice coffee...
![]() |
| Chiapas, Mexico (Google Maps) |
I recently bought some greens from Home Roast Coffee in Wisconson. Unfortunately they onlky deal in small lots (5 lbs max) so I probably won't buy more. But the 4 batches I roasted were really good (4 batches of 550 gm each yielded about 4 lbs of roasted coffee).
High Grown, HG: Coffee grown at high Altitudes produce a dense more vibrant flavor profile than those grown at lower Altitudes. Higher altitudes provide an Arabica Coffee friendly environment, the climate tends to be cooler with less direct sunshine and plenty of moisture. This causes the coffee fruit to mature slowly allowing more time to develop depth and sweetness, as well as many of the desirable characteristics we look for in fine Specialty coffees. European Process: Hand Sorting to remove defects to the "EP Standard" continues until no more than 8 defects are found in a 300 gram sample. This obviously very labor intense hand sorting improves Cup Quality and Consistency.
Plenty of filler material about farming and not much info about flavors! Elsewhere I found reference to "Caramelized; Dark Chocolate" which are code-words for me to try this. And that was pretty much what ended up in the cup with plenty of sweetness and body.
A really nice cup of coffee!

Comments
Post a Comment