The December dripper arrived...

Kind'a out of the blue I received a shipping notice. I had guessed So. Korea was still shut down but there was unreported activity at the December Dripper factory! The 2 drippers arrived in perfect shape and work exactly as advertised.

What's unique about their design is that they are throttle-able. You can set the base to expose 3, 2, 1 or 0 drain holes in the base of the dripper. That means the user can control the flow rate and ultimately the amount of extraction time during brewing.

My first try was with some decaf which came out so strong I thought I might grow hair on my teeth. Apparently S. Koreans are studly coffee drinkers and have my utmost respect! Using their recommended ratio of 300 gm water to 20 gm coffee (15:1) was more than I could handle. Our usual ratio is 410 gm water to 20 gm coffee (20.5:1).

A second try a few days later gave me about what I was accustomed to with better flavor extraction. At first blush I'm very impressed. But the process is complicated-
  • empty cup & filter-lined dripper on the scale
  • zero the scale
  • add 20 gm ground coffee
  • zero the scale
  • add ~120 gm water heated to 197°F
  • wait about 50 sec
  • add the remaining 290 gm of water in a single pour
Fussy but I must admit the coffee tastes better than what I can do with the #6 Melitta filter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uh-oh... the 'season' has started!

'Tis the season...

Monsoons? What monsoons?!