Roasting some Costa Rica coffee...
Sweet Maria's had a new offering that sounded like it might work for me. They call it Costa Rica don Oscar Limones which is a farm in the Tarrazu valley... about 6,000 ft elevation.
From the Cupping Notes-
The name "Limones" may seem a bit disconnected from what's in the cup.
Limones isn't a bright, citric coffee. Rather, it's more of a simple cup
profile, with sweet to bittering flavor characteristics that respond
readily to roast development.
City+ roasting highlights flavors of
toasted sugar and moderate acidity like white grape juice, with softer
chocolate finishing flavors drawn out in the aftertaste. If you're for
more of a chocolate-toned cup, extend roast development into Full City,
or even Full City+. In that tight roast range you'll be rewarded with
bittering cocoa flavors, developed roast tones, reverberating bass
notes and carbonized sugar bitter-sweetness in the aftertaste. Limones
also delivers as espresso, a "classic" chocolate/creamy nut tones flavor
profile with long, bittersweet finish.
So it's the usual profile for me with (again) the addition of heat-soak at the front end and slow drum speed for the start of the roast.
I thought the roast went pretty good considering I'm still fumbling around with the heat-soak/drum speed business. I wanted to get to Full City (FC) and maybe a little more. That means getting to 441-445°F before dropping the roast into the cooling tray. All told the roast went as I'd hoped until I got to 1C when the beans decided to take over and the roast temps seemed to take a dive. I'm guessing they beans were changing from and endothermic process (giving off more heat than they were taking in) to an exothermic process (taking in heat) as 1C progressed in earnest.
Not a very satisfactory explanation but it's the best I can offer (!). Still, if the aroma of the roasted beans is any indication, we're in for a great cup of coffee!
We'll see...



Comments
Post a Comment