Well I'll be damned...

It works!

When I was an engineer working at Lockheed, I learned that there are good reasons management didn't want engineers touching tools. The techs were good at their job and I wasn't. So when it comes time to modify electronics I prefer to leave that to the competent hands of those who are good at it.

That was over 25 years ago. Now when something needs fixing it's usually up to me to get it done. But I sweat bullets till I know I didn't screw up the work. In this case it went well.

Boot-up is a little different as already mentioned, and I now have control of drum speed. Most importantly I had no alarm sound while I was roasting which is a huge relief.

Operation is outwardly the same as before but there are subtleties in control behavior that suggest I may have more responsive control of the roast. So I gave it a try.

This is the first of only 2 roasts before the temps in the shop were over 90°F (yuk!). I tried several different things that demonstrated I need to learn my job all over again! Lots of bumps and valleys that shouldn't have been there and the roast was pretty s-l-o-w.

But everything operated properly in response to controls even though some of the controls were inappropriate. Plus I did some experimenting now that I have control of drum speed. I have to apologize to Glenn Junkert (Roast.World forum) who tried to tell me how he roasts using drum speed in conjunction with all the other controls. His charts make it look easy but mine... not so much!

We'll see how it turned out. Needs a couple days of rest, then I can give it a try.

Which reminds me: the two December Drippers (throttle-able filter holder for brewing pour-over coffee) I ordered from So. Korea arrived. They had worked their way thru 2 postal systems plus a trans-Pacific flight. More on that later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uh-oh... the 'season' has started!

'Tis the season...

Monsoons? What monsoons?!