A brief vacation...
I bought my Aillio Bullet R1 roaster in January 2019. It was designated V1.5 instead of V2 because it was delivered with the infrared temperature sensor and the same power board used on V1 Bullets. Aillio had a design replacement but it was stalled in production for whatever reason. I planned to upgrade from V1.5 to V2 by replacing the power board when it became available. Great plan but...
By April 2019 they started delivering Bullets with the new power board in both 120 VAC and 240 VAC versions. But then they found production issues after a few hours of roasting use. I had been in touch with Julio at Sweet Maria's (Sweet Maria's was my source for the Bullet) and he said the 240 VAC model seemed ok, but it might be too soon to upgrade my 120 VAC Bullet since some of those boards were having a problem: "You're better off with what you have".
Aillio gave user's a heads-up on their Community site back in Oct 2019 that apparently some components for the 120 VAC version had been ordered without including their application-specific requirements. This roaster gets pretty hot during use so you can't use just any old parts. About 3% of the new boards were failing. The biggest change on the power board is that it's much more efficient so probably doesn't get as hot during operation.
Aillio got it worked out and cautiously started delivering new boards in new machines, but they withheld upgrades to go from V1/V1.5 to V2 except in a very limited number till they were sure they had production right.
Then it started getting hot here in AZ and I started having an alarm go off. Apparently the code it generated indicates the internal comm bus had failed. The failure was always brief (about 1 sec or less) and I never lost a roast because of it, but it scared the crap out of me every time it happened. The thinking was it could possibly be the power board (since power usually went to P0) or it could be the control panel.
Matt at Aillio had worked with me for over a month trying to resolve the issue and finally felt they had to do something. Aillio & Sweet Maria's is shipping me a new V2 power board as an upgrade plus a new control panel PCB (it's the PCB that has the microprocessor which controls everything in the Bullet) as a warranty replacement in hopes this resolves the issue. I may chance another roast on Saturday, but I'm pretty much out of business till the new components get here (next week?) and I can get them installed.

Comments
Post a Comment