Putting names to 'lighter' or 'darker' roasts...

I like to put labels on the degree of roast but, lacking structured experience (training by someone with cred), I have to plagiarize from sources I respect. The label I assign to a roast to keep track of what I've done and the code (C, FC+, etc. below) fit with the cupping notes that Sweet Maria's provides for their offered green beans.

I pirated these images from the Sweet Maria's article "Using Sight to Determine Degree of Roast". His article is better than my summary here but this is a reminder for me of what I'm looking for ina roast..

Roast Name   Symbol Description Image Temp
 City
 C Lightest brown roast for the
 variety involved (varies);
 texture is smooth but not
 polished. 1C is ended (hard to
 determine as there's not a distinct
 end)..
 
 ~ 426°F
 City +
 C+ Roast is a little darker than City
 and the beans are starting to look
 a little polished; no oily drops
 yet.
 
 435°F
 Full City
 FC Medium brown in color and the
 roasted beans are polished; still
 no oil on the surface though some
 drops can appear as the beans
 rest. Just before 2C starts.
 444°F
 Full City +
 FC+ Darker brown; polished texture;
 there ought to be droplets of oil
 on most of the roasted beans.
 Hearing the first snaps of 2C.
 454°F
 Vienna V About as dark brown as you can
 get without being black; the
 roasted beans should have an oily
 surface. This is the darkest I'll
 roast (at least intentionally). 2C is
 underway.
 465°F
 French Roast
 FR To my eye a French Roast is
 pretty much black and the beans
 are very oily... more than in this
 image. About the end of 2C.
 474°F

I've seen more oil at Vienna roast than pictured in Thompson Owen's photos above, but that may be me not getting the roast level right. Still, this is what I think of as my 'roasters gospel' for visual ID of roast level.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uh-oh... the 'season' has started!

'Tis the season...

Monsoons? What monsoons?!